Here’s a desert I made using a traditional torte recipe. I remixed it a bit using almond flour and chestnut flour instead of regular baking flour. Original recipe came from Epicurious. The one below is my version. The apples came from Fishkill Farms upstate. Vivi and I took a little pumpkin picking trip (all the apples were picked) but that didn’t stop Vivi! 🙂
- 3/4 cup PLUS 1 or 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup chestnut flour (really you can use just about anything if you don’t have these)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Pinch salt
- A few slices apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or more
- Maple syrup to drizzle on top
1. Arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Mix 3/4 cup sugar and butter. Add the flour, baking powder, eggs, and salt and beat to mix well. Place in a 9- or 10-inch ungreased springform pan. Cover the top with the apples. Mix the cinnamon with the remaining 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar and sprinkle over the top. Drizzle maple syrup on top of the apples.
3. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the center tests done with a toothpick. Remove and cool to room temperature or serve warm. Serve plain or with maple frozen yogurt.. (coming soon!)